Hasbro's drawings of Peteena

the remnant of packaging that started it all

Before I get to the packaging artwork, I want to digress for a bit to share the beginning of my personal journey into Peteena obsession, since it started with the above scrap of decorative packaging.

My mom unearthed this panel from the packaging of the Peteena "Twinkle Toes" outfit while sorting through some forgotten boxes of stuff she'd saved, and in fact this piece of cardboard, separated from the rest of the package, had been turned over so the blank side could be used as backing for some other paper treasure in a plastic sleeve (my mom has been an aficionado of the "reuse recycle" strategy long before it had a name).  She slid everything out of the sleeve, turned over the cardboard, and... there she was!  

My mom then put this panel in my special "pouch" (she has a row of fabric pouches hanging on a wall where she stashes things for me and my siblings as she finds them, so whenever we visit we can reach into our designated pouch and pull out all kinds of bits and bobs she's found that relate to us in one way or another – an article about a favorite actress, a length of ribbon in our favorite color, or a magazine article about a movie we once mentioned we liked), where it waited until my next visit. When I pulled out this image of Peteena, I had an instant rush of emotional memory of the excitement and pleasure that doll had given me; a feeling made more intense by the fact that I'd completely forgotten about her.  And I mean COMPLETELY!  I had not had even a passing thought of her for at least 30 years.  But it felt like my body remembered her – I was overcome by a wave of nostalgic joy.  The actual doll I owned had long since been sold or donated, along with her clothing.  This panel only survived because my mom cannot pass up a decent piece of cardboard.  

But enough about me, this post is supposed to be about the wonderful artwork that Hasbro used on their packaging for the doll and her wardrobe.  I would love to know who the artist was, s/he created such lively, expressive portrayals that show this active and enthusiastic, yet cool-as-a-cucumber pooch.  I love that, like the doll, in these drawings her expression never changes; she remains blasé whether she is strolling along in the rain, or skiing down a mountainside.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

These drawings of Peteena appeared on Hasbro's packaging 
accompanying the 6 outfits they produced for this groovy pup:


The above images were found on Flickr. A user with the handle Xie Kitchen took the drawings from the original packaging and composed them against the teal background.  A very nice way to view them!  Thanks, Xie Kitchen!  Below are some examples of the original packaging:




This graphic was on the back of the packaging of each of Peteena's outfits:

Was Hasbro planning to produce this Mondrian-inspired dress a'la Yves Saint Laurent for our canine fashionista?  
We may never know!

... BUT ...  
....there is evidence!  
Stay tuned for a future post about the mysterious missing dress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Hasbro's Peteena, the Poodle in a Bikini